Edenderry Industrial Estate, Belfast
A new-build project for a mixed use scheme comprising 232 residential and office units on industrially zoned lands.
Mixed Use & Masterplanning
Gravis Planning undertook research to demonstrate the appropriateness of this project, alongside direct and regular liaison with Planning Service and heritage specialists to ensure that the proposed development would respect the historic setting of Edenderry Mill as well as the surrounding landscape.
We also undertook a series of meetings with elected representatives to ensure that queries from members of the local community were answered and that any concerns were taken on board.
- Viewed as a politically sensitive location, the design and layout of the new plans had to reflect the history of the interfaces surrounding the site
- Although not a listed building, the proposal had to retain and enhance the historical features of Edenderry Mill
- Identified as industrial land within the local Area Plan, it was demonstrated to the Department that the proposal for residential and office business units complied with Planning Policy
- Open space considerations
- Residential design, layout and height issues
- Visual impacts from surrounding streetscape
- Contamination issues
- Traffic and access impacts